After making a successful light weight coroplast kayak, I wondered if I could attach a motor and hike the whole thing to a mountain lake.
An electric trolling motor would have been preferred, but decided that would be too heavy. I ended up purchasing a 15 pound 2 cycle 1.2 hp Gamefisher outboard motor, (no neutral or reverse.) After mounting the motor I quickly decided to use 6mm thick coroplast. I wanted this boat to be tough in case I ran into underwater snags. I also decided on a more traditional wider hull design for stability.
1/4″ plywood was added to the transom to better support the motor.
This boat should be able to fold into a 2ft by 4ft rectangle similar to my yellow kayak.
I cut grooves in 1/2″ PVC and slid them over the side wall edges. The copper wire holds the front end together.
Making the steering wheel. No welds.
The steering pulley is a modified wire spool that I obtained for free at my local hardware store.
Just like a normal speed boat I located the original throttle handle by my hand on the right side rail. The original short throttle cable was used from the engine to the quick disconnect, and a bicycle brake cable, after filing the disk connector down to fit the throttle handle, was used from the throttle control to the quick disconnect.
Tension springs were also added to the steering lines.
This shows the quick release throttle cable mechanism. The slot on the middle piece is where the engine cable end slides off, similar to some quick release bicycle brake set-ups. Also shown is the high tech cable stabilization screw, (patent pending