Homeless sleeping pod

 This second version was again to create an inexpensive folding shelter that a church, mission or community center could build and erect in their parking lot for the cold part of the year.

My first version utilized recycled pallets for the floor. Although free material, it was time consuming and heavy. On this version I decided to build a cheap base using OSB chip board and 2″ by 2″ boards for the frame. This first try proved to be too flexible.

For cost and weight savings I was going to try non treated 2×3’s but opted for treated 2×4’s. The middle board is off-set and placed down the middle where the occupant lays.

Here it is ready to paint. A bigger vent was added to the front and rear wall.

 

The door has a non opening window added (now I wish it opened) and swings opposite of my first shelter. This allowing access to the wider side of the front wall for a possible cook stove. A cooking stove is not in line with the original sleeping pod idea, but it’s nice to know it can be done in case a person wanted to use the shelter as a small get-away micro cabin or…

This newer design allows the shelter to fold up for storage and transport. Not the easiest to put together, but I have improvements in mind.

  This new design lost a few pounds with the new floor. It’s still heavy enough to stay put during strong winds and strong enough to only need a leveling block in each corner. The middle bricks are extra insurance.

There’s still a place for one’s shoes and pack, and I added a middle bin for loose items. I also opted to include just an inside slide bolt lock allowing whomever to lock themselves inside for protection. I think this simple lock set-up might discourage a person from (hanging out) because the door doesn’t lock from the outside making their left behind belongings vulnerable.

Here I show the bolted down battery powered LED closet light, the smoke/carbon monixide alarm located behind the perforated tin can. The strapped down clock, magazines, water bottle, energy bar and pee jug are obvious extras. The vent was placed opposite of the one on the front wall allowing better ventilation.

I made a simple vinyl cover for the three inch thick foam mattress but it needs to enclose the whole mattress. I later added another layer of coroplast over the roof to help with noise and improve insulation. This didn’t work so well. Installing foil backed bubble insulation to the interior might be a better alternative. All together I spent about $200 on this structure, including everything you see minus the sleeping bag and loose items.

Here are two views showing the shelter without the arced panels.

 

Save

Save

Comments are closed.